Photograph by Carly Marie Robinson (@carlymarierobbbo)
Utopian Acts 2018
In 2018, along with Katie Stone, I organised Utopian Acts 2018, a one-day festival and conference exploring the relationship between activism, art, and academia. The conference programme, photos, and blog posts are available on the Utopian Acts website.
Photograph by Daniel Jackery
- With Beyond Gender Collective. "Navigating Beyond Gender: The City in Feminist Science Fiction." (Un)fair Cities: Equity, Ideology and Utopia in Urban Texts, December 2019, University of Limerick.
- "Never a Common Common Enough: Ongoing Futures in the Poetry of Juliana Spahr." Poetics in Commons, May 2019, University of Sheffield.
- "'Life! Life! Life!': The Precarious Utopianism of Kim Stanley Robinson's New York 2140." Disruption, Displacement, and Disorder: 43rd Society for Utopian Studies Conference, November 2018, University of California Berkeley.
- "The Utopian Body in Contemporary Literatures of Crisis." British Association of Contemporary Literary Studies - What Happens Now, July 2018, Loughborough University.
- "'It's All Good, It's All Fucked': The Anti-Capitalist Commons in Contemporary Poetry." Movements: Protest, Politics and Activism in the Twenty-First Century, July 2018, Nottingham Contemporary.
- "Lines of Flight: The Utopian Escape in Contemporary Speculative Literature." Utopia, Now!, August 2017, Chelsea College of Arts, London. (Audio)
- "Troubled Solidarity, Precarious Utopias." Solidarity and Utopia: 18th Utopian Studies Society Conference, July 2017, Gdańsk, Poland.
- "The Snow and the Zone: Creating communitas on the thresholds of sf cinema." CRSF 2017, June 2017, University of Liverpool.
- "Occupy the Threshold: Locating occupation protests in liminal space." Crossing Borders: Negotiation, Provocation, and Transgression, May 2017, Birkbeck, University of London.
- "A Poetics of Emptiness: Naming places at the urban margin." 2015 ELLAK International Conference: Spaces/Spatialities: Practices, Encounters and Articulations, December 2015, Busan, South Korea.