I am currently working on my PhD in English Literature at Birkbeck, University of London.
My academic work examines the manifestations of utopia, the commons, and precarity in contemporary culture, with a particular interest in post-2008 poetry, novels, and speculative fiction, and cultural production within contemporary global activism movements.
Photograph by Carly Marie Robinson (@carlymarierobbbo)
Utopian Acts 2018
In 2018, along with Katie Stone, I organised Utopian Acts 2018, a one-day festival and conference exploring the relationship between activism, art, and academia. The conference programme, photos, and blog posts are available on the Utopian Acts website.
Photograph by Daniel Jackery
- Towards a Taxonomy of Edgelands Literature, Alluvium, Vol. 4, No. 3 (2015).
- Responding to the Chance of Space in Marshland, Alluvium, Vol. 5, No. 1 (2016).
- (Un)mapping the Edgelands: Towards a new genre in contemporary British literature, Honours thesis, Australian National University (2014).
- Riot Noises: Verbatim Theatre Representations of the 2011 UK Riots and the Limits of Comprehension, MA dissertation, King’s College London (2016).
- “A Poetics of Emptiness: Naming places at the urban margin.” 2015 ELLAK International Conference: Spaces/Spatialities: Practices, Encounters and Articulations, December 2015, Busan, South Korea.
- “Occupy the Threshold: Locating occupation protests in liminal space.” Crossing Borders: Negotiation, Provocation, and Transgression, May 2017, Birkbeck, University of London.
- “The Snow and the Zone: Creating communitas on the thresholds of sf cinema.” CRSF 2017, June 2017, University of Liverpool.
- “Troubled Solidarity, Precarious Utopias.” Solidarity and Utopia: 18th Utopian Studies Society Conference, July 2017, Gdańsk, Poland.
- “Lines of Flight: The Utopian Escape in Contemporary Speculative Literature.” Utopia, Now!, August 2017, Chelsea College of Arts, London. ( Audio)
- “‘It’s All Good, It’s All Fucked’: The Anti-Capitalist Commons in Contemporary Poetry.” Movements: Protest, Politics and Activism in the Twenty-First Century, July 2018, Nottingham Contemporary.
- “The Utopian Body in Contemporary Literatures of Crisis.” British Association of Contemporary Literary Studies - What Happens Now, July 2018, Loughborough University.